Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

When I sit down, my left arm hurts from my wrist to my neck.

Customer Question
When I sit down...

When I sit down, my left arm hurts from my wrist to my neck. What is the issue here?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

It's being going on about 3 weeks. No numbness, just throbbing pain and bothersome tingling.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I am fairly healthy.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/11/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your symptoms are likely due to pinched nerves in neck.

This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck

2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Vitamin B12 supplement

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain / tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl