DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Can you hyperextend the knee when you take and impact from

Customer Question

Can you hyperextend the knee when you take and impact from the side?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Bit of swelling, sore and some instability. I am following the RICE routine
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: None
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks! I will await your response.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

The injury would be a combination of extension and twisting injury.

It would not likely be pure extension, but would typically damage a lateral meniscus or ligament.

This needs examination.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Yes you should be concerned.This can be referred pain.It can be from an ear infection, sinus infection or strep throat.I would consider urgent care for an exam, exam of ears, exam of sinuses, and maybe a rapid strep test.OK, let me know if you have more questions.I am here as needed.Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed