Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there a blood test to check for fever?

Customer Question
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/10/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Fever can only be checked by a thermometer. Blood tests don't detect a fever. However, blood tests can help to ascertain the cause for the fever. It depends on the symptoms. Blood tests can give specific and non specific information on the differentials list. They help physicians confirm the underlying cause of the fever. For example, ESR, CRP, Full blood count or CBC can all help to detect the presence of inflammation or infection which is causing fever and when correlated with clinical findings the physician can confirm the cause of the fever.

Hope this helps.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.