Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Clogged ears. No it comes and goes

Customer Question
Clogged ears Doctor's Assistant:...

Clogged ears

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No it comes and goes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/10/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your symptoms can be due to eustachian tube dysfunction.

Dysfunction of the Eustachian tube can occur due to swelling of the mucosa (internal lining) in the nasopharynx or in the Eustachian tube, which in turn may occur because of

1) infection or

2) allergy.

This swelling can impede the Eustachian tube function. Following medications are used:

1) Decongestants; Sudafed (over the counter)

2) Antihistamines; Chlorpheniramine (Singlet) has best result and available without prescription

3) Steroids; prescription drugs

4) Analgesics; Motrin, Advil, Aleve

Valsalva maneuver (positive pressure against a closed nasal airway) usually equilibrates pressure in the middle ear to the outside and can be helpful if done 5-7 times in a day.

All the above combination may be able to give you certain relief.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor