Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have experienced dry mouth that has resulted in abnormal

Customer Question

I have experienced dry mouth that has resulted in abnormal uptake of water with constant urination...no pain , no discomfort.....but I have also picked up any droplet is 'sticky"....all this within 4 days
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: The is no tooth pain although I di have false teeth that have irritated my upper palate.....and no swelling whatsover
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: my blood pressure is normal and I have maintained my weight for more than 20 years between 90-94 kg.......my father had diabetes and his mother too
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Dry mouth is termed xerostomia. The causes can be;

1) fever / raised body temperature,

2) dehydration,

3) anticholinergic drugs,

4) Sjögren syndrome; when salivary gland are affected by autoimmune disease,

5) antidepressants and other drugs

6) parotid gland infection (parotitis / mumps)

7) diabetes

8) anemia

So your primary care physician should investigate these causes. Diabetes is first to be looked for by getting a glucose tolerance test and glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1C).

Following measures can be helpful, meanwhile;

1) Eating easily ingested foods; Moisture in mashed potatoes makes them easier to eat than potato chips, which are drier. Corn from the cob contains more moisture than dry popcorn. Crackers and biscuits, may be avoided as they are too dry to eat

2) Adopting strict oral hygiene regimens, including flossing, careful and thorough brushing, and the use of a periodontal cleansing aid. Frequent dental appointments for topical fluoride applications and pit and fissure sealants.

3) To stimulate flow using sugarless chewing gum or candy.

4) Oral pilocarpine is also effective in increasing salivary flow.

5) Overall body hydration through ingestion of adequate water every day is very helpful measure (which you are already doing).

6) Saliva substitutes (can get without prescription, as they are water-based, they help).

7) Avoid habits, such as smoking, mouth-breathing and intake of caffeine-containing beverages.

8) Avoid medications like chlorpheniramine, doxylamine, dexbrompheniramine, triprolidine, brompheniramine, diphenhydramine, pyrilamine and phenindamine.

9) Drink ginger, chamomile or green tea to stimulate saliva.

10) Celery helps stimulation of saliva glands and adds extra moisture to mouth.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had some alcohol intake which I had not taken for more than 30 years, could it contribute?I also use Cialis tablets.... Can they be the cause of frequent urination to and almost inability to hold back?

Cialis can cause urgency of urination.

Alcohol also can cause both; urgency (acts diuretic) and dryness of mouth.

Alcohol causes increased perspiration and thus dryness of mouth.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl