Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have sudden chest pain that has been going on for three…

Customer Question
I have sudden chest...

I have sudden chest pain that has been going on for three days. It's higher up in my chest closer to my collarbone and comes and goes. Sometimes it's in different areas but still higher up. Coaching makes it a little worse. The pain is on a scale of 2 or 3 out of 10

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

I'm worried that this could be serious

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I used to smoke cigarettes but I have quit since winter. I smoked for three years, and I'm 17 right now

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
The pain is sort of a burning feeling.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/10/2017
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Does the chest pain increases with exertion?

Any difficulty in breathing?

Any pain or numbness in left arm?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

No pain or numbness anywhere. Breathing is normal for the most part, maybe I feel out of breath a little sometimes. The pain comes and goes so it's there randomly, sometimes when i excersise and sometimes not.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having burning pain in upper chest pain since last 3 days is most likely due to GERD(gastro esophageal reflux disease).It is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.

This does not seem to be due to heart disease or anything serious.

To get relief ,following is recommended for you now:

· Take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.

· Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Both these are available as over the counter (OTC)without a prescription & will help you greatly.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatment & doctor visit is less likely required.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Does GERD give a feeling only in the chest or along the esophages and stomach. Because I have had acid reflux sometimes to the point of almost throwing up after and it felt completely different. It was a concrete burning sensation whereas this one is much different. A sort of warmth and just average pain.
My biggest fear in these situations is lung cancer. I hqve hypocondria do this happens sometimeswhere I think it's this one thing. Could you tell me if patients with lung cancer ever started out with just low level chest pain and nothing else? I've only ever read the symptoms which is enough to get me scared

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,it is quite possible that GERD feels only in chest. Your burning pain is most likely due to GERD/acid reflux and these symptoms may vary from previous episodes.

As you have history of GERD,so this is the most probable cause of your symptoms.

Nothing to worry.This is not due to any heart disease,lung cancer or any lung disease.

None of your symptoms are of lung cancer.So please do not worry about it.

Please don't search on internet. Many of the articles, are written by unprofessional, and may only lead to stress and worry.

I am pretty sure,that this is not due to lung cancer.

Acid reflux is the most probable cause & above described medications will provide you great relief.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

Bonus is highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?

I am waiting for your reply…