Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My friends heart seems to be having some issues. His does,

Customer Question

my friends heart seems to be having some issues
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: His does, yes, The heart seems to slow down and then speeds up, but not regularly
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no idea
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your friends symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that your friend may be suffering from a condition which is known as arrhythmias. this is a condition in which the heart can beat irregularly at time and can speed up or even slow down at times. This can occur because of a number of causes including heart disease such as blockage of the coronary arteries. In severe cases this can cause symptoms like palpitations, shortness of breath, chest pain, sweating, dizziness, lightheadedness, weakness, numbness in the limbs. This would need to be diagnosed with the help of a simple EKG and if necessary a 24 hour holter monitor which monitors the heart continuously for a full day. In additiona echocardiography should also be done in this case. This can also be due to hormonal issues including thyroid problems or even cortisol issues. Electrolyte imbalances and dehydration can cause this as well.

Another cause can be sick sinus syndrome in which the heart sends out abnormal signals leading to either very low heart rates or very high ones, this again wouild be diagnosed in much the same manner as above and would be treated with a pacemaker. Whereas arrhythmias are usually treated with medications.

Now i would recommend that you take your friend to the doctor and get these tests done as these abnormal heart rhythms can be dangerous in some cases.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating