Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I had a nose swab test because I am having surgery the

Customer Question

i had a nose swab test because I am having surgery the beginning of October and the result came back :Results Value -
Value : staphylococcus aureusDetected by PCR. Nafcillin susceptibleWhat does this mean ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 month ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Staph aureus(SA) is a commensal usually found on the skin and in the nostrils.This bacteria can cause serious infections due to its methicillin resistant strains.Your nasal swab has been positive for such SA and this needs to be treated prior to surgery to prevent infection post surgery.Since the strain is nafcillin susceptible,use of Nafcillin or Linezolid courses will help eradicate this bacteria thus preventing any likely MRSA post surgical infection.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does it mean I have an infection right now ? If so what kind of infections are these

Commensals are bacterial flora which are normally living on the skin,these may turn pathogenic if the oppurtunity arises like MRSA.In the commensal state they do not cause any infection.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the only way it could turn into an infection would be after surgery if I don't take an antibiotic before ? Sorry for all the questions ! It's a bit confusing

The MRSA and other commensals become pathogenic/disease spreading when the immunity levels of the body go down due to disease or during periods of stress on the body.Surgical operations are stressful to the body,preventive therapy for MRSA is thus useful especially prior to any major surgery.