Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am71yrs old during the night turning over i experienced a

Customer Question

I am71yrs old during the night turning over i experienced a head spin this happened three times. this morning walking around my garden i bent down to pluck a weed getting up i experiences loss of balance had to grab a pole so i would not fall shall i call the ambulance?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: 24 hrs
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had open heart surgery4 yrs ago have 5 stents and on blood thinners have vascula specialist and heart specialist checking on me every two yrs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

With your past medical history it would be better to get it evaluated immediately. Though this may not be serious like stroke. But it is essential to get it evaluated. This can be due to internal ear disease or neck artery issue or fall in blood pressure due to change in posture.

Acute dizziness and vertigo is usually managed with;

1) vestibular suppressants,
2) antiviral medication,
3) antiemetic medications
4) steroids

Vestibular rehabilitation can help which is an exercise program. Please read this resource for the exercises;

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/883878-overview#showall

Exercises are graded in difficulty based on velocity of head and object motion and by progression of body positioning from sitting to standing to walking. The exercises are graded in difficulty by narrowing the base of support, making the surface uneven, or changing the surface from firm to soft. Varied walking exercises are graded in difficulty by changing direction, requiring performance with the eyes closed, increasing speed of ambulation, walking on soft surfaces, or navigating stairs. An aerobic exercise home program progressively increasing the time, speed, or distance that the patient could tolerate also can be initiated. But all of these may need supervision of a doctor if vertigo is severe.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This has been no help at all as a expert in fitness because you have evaded answering my question health care i doubt you are a GP i am aware of uneven ground so what about when i was in bed and had the head spins ?????????// this is bullshit and will report as a scam on face book
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you are not a GP
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you shoud be ashamed of yourself scammer
Expert:  Doctor John MD replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I am a board-certified family physician in the U.S. with over 20 years of experience.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I do have a few more questions, is that ok?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you experienced this head spinning when you bent over and got up

this change in body position can cause drops in your blood pressure

this medically is called Postural Orthostatic hypotension.

where your body's position or changes in body position can cause drops in blood pressure.

when your blood pressure drops, not enough blood can get to the brain and you can feel extremely lightheaded and dizzy like you want to fall down

drinking more water, sometimes taking in a bit extra salt can increase your blood pressure in some cases and help blood to continue to flow to your brain

do you drink enough water daily? 6-8 glasses of fluids.