Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Aloha, I am a 51 year old female. I am extremely happily…

Customer Question
Aloha, I am a...

Aloha, I am a 51 year old female. I am extremely happily married for 20 years with a 13 year old daughter. I have taken several tests on the internet and I am fairly certain I have ADD with a touch of ADHD. I also have diagnosed stenosis with bulging disks and a torn rotator cuff and a neck that has no curviture. I have a lot of pain throughout my body that goes to mild to moderate each month depending on the amount of excertion I put out. I am perscribed the lowest level of oxycodone .5 up to 6 per day if needed. In addition valium for muscle spasm and I occasionally take a sleeping pill.
Both my Mother and Brother had schizophrenia and have sadly past. My sympotms of ADD are extreme. Trouble concentrating, procrastination are prevalent, forgetting appointments and the lists go on. This has been in my life since I was younger but because I did not want to be labled as "crazy" or have a stigma I avoided the doctor because I was affraid to get diagnosed. Now I am just tired of loosing things and having trouble concentrating and being efficient in my every day life as I am a bright and happy person but this make me miserable and has left me feeling isolated. Can you recommend a medicine that I can take that will not interact poorly with that which I have been already beenb prescribed? Please keep in mind that I do not fair well on antidepressents. In addition, I feel if I can gain controll over my ADD I can finally begin to taper off my pain medication as I feel that it at one time it did help me with focusing but after over 10 years of usage it has not. I want to treat both issues but do it intelligently and to try to get better!!!! God has given me everything I need but I feel imept with functioning in everyday life with organization and not getting sidetracked and this has occured well before I ever injured myself and before I was prescibed opiods. I have an appointment with a physician who works inside a counseling center who I am going to ask for medicaiton. What can you recommend for me?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Allergic to penicilin. Take oxycodone and diazapam.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just what is in my statement.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/10/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

treatment for ADD and ADHD tend to be simulants like Ritalin (methylphenidate), or Adderall (detroamphetamine/amphetamine) which can help patients who have ADHD to think more clearly and be more organized.

Any thoughts on modafinil?

that is Provigil

and is used for patients who have sleep disorders, narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorders.

most insurance plans won't pay for it unless your doctors gives you one of these diagnosis.

With all do respect your field is cancer. Your answer was brief and another 50 to speak with you? Unless you have any other thoughts to share I am very underwhelmed after all I have shared.

I help many patients here online.

you can ask your doctor about modafinil

but again, it won't be paid for by your insurance company if you don't have one of those sleep disorders.

only trying those ADHD medications can see if they will help you over time.

Thank you for your assistance and have a good day.

you are welcome