Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My father has Alzheimer's and an enlarged prostate, recently

Customer Question

My father has Alzheimer's and an enlarged prostate, recently we noted an increase in his creatinine levels and a GFR of 58....he was not on any medications but was recently started on Proscar...for the past 2-3 weeks he has had increased anxiety, pleasant confusion, and insomnia...one doctor recommended doxepin and another recommended celexa...we are wondering about doxepin and his kidneys and one side effect of celexa is insomnia...what do you recommend
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: 2-3 months, increased creatinine....GFR 58 ...I was first aware of it last week...his insomnia and anxiety come and go....this time it has lasted about two weeks ...no response noted with melatonin 5 mg tried 1x this time...it worked once in the past but has not since
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: We are wondering if he can take saw palmetto instead of the proscar...nothing else...his normal bp is about 100/60 ...no hypertension or diabetes and as far as we know his heart and liver are okay...but he is very restless and has not gotten much sleep in the last 24 hours...I wonder if I should take him to the emergency room
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry about your father.

Alzheimers is a tough disease.

is he able to just drink more water and fluids to help get his creatinine levels down?

you may have to help him drink more water and fluids during the day

you may have to find another beverage that he likes to drink.

is he on aricpet or namanda for his alzheimers?

haldol at night time could help him sleep a bit better.