Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My father has Alzheimer's and an enlarged prostate, recently…

Customer Question
My father has Alzheimer's...

My father has Alzheimer's and an enlarged prostate, recently we noted an increase in his creatinine levels and a GFR of 58....he was not on any medications but was recently started on Proscar...for the past 2-3 weeks he has had increased anxiety, pleasant confusion, and insomnia...one doctor recommended doxepin and another recommended celexa...we are wondering about doxepin and his kidneys and one side effect of celexa is insomnia...what do you recommend

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

2-3 months, increased creatinine....GFR 58 ...I was first aware of it last week...his insomnia and anxiety come and go....this time it has lasted about two weeks ...no response noted with melatonin 5 mg tried 1x this time...it worked once in the past but has not since

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

We are wondering if he can take saw palmetto instead of the proscar...nothing else...his normal bp is about 100/60 ...no hypertension or diabetes and as far as we know his heart and liver are okay...but he is very restless and has not gotten much sleep in the last 24 hours...I wonder if I should take him to the emergency room

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/10/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your father.

Alzheimers is a tough disease.

is he able to just drink more water and fluids to help get his creatinine levels down?

you may have to help him drink more water and fluids during the day

you may have to find another beverage that he likes to drink.

is he on aricpet or namanda for his alzheimers?

haldol at night time could help him sleep a bit better.