Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Is it safe for a type 2 diabetic with good control on

Customer Question

Is it safe for a type 2 diabetic with good control on metformin to try the 1 capsule of Carcinia Cambogia w/2 teaspoons of organic raw apple cider vinegar in an 8 ounce glass of warm water each morning to help burn up belly fat? I have been loosing weight gradually for more than 3 years, but have recently stalled and even regained a couple of pounds. I started at 270 (5'4") (female) and had reached 193, then my weight started to climb back several pounds at a time. I would just like to try this diet to lose about 10 pounds to get my metabolism jump-started again. Is it safe if used occasionally?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I take Metformin 1000 mg (2 per day at same time - after evening meal). I was formerly on Januvia and Metformin (as separate medications) then on JanumetXR 1000/50. I was having serious pains in my stomach and was extremely constipated (I have a redundant colon). I started taking a probiotic tablet each morning and I take an omeprazole 20 mg each morning and night. My stools have returned to normal after suffering for many years with extremes of IBS of both diarrhea and constipation. I also take Valsartan to keep my blood pressure under control and a generic of Lipitor to keep my cholesterol in check. It was never very high, but as soon as it was 2 points higher than my former doctor told me was normal, I was put on the medication, which keeps me well below the high figure I was quoted. My A1C is 58. My weight is now almost back to 200, which was a goal I worked on for many years to get below.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Penicillin, Sulfa, Compozine and latex adhesive
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Sleep Apnea, Fibromyalgia which has flared up for the last couple of months so that I am miserable most of the time (I am 69). I have problems getting around due to back surgery 7 years ago (laminectory L4 and 5 and S1). I can walk, but not far before the pain causes me to have to sit down or fall down). I have had Physical therapy 3 times since the surgery without improvement. I had hoped losing weight would help, but it has not. I have a new doctor that cannot seem to handle dealing with all my issues at once. I do like my new physician, but he told me he knew nothing about Carcinia Cambogia and I hope to find someone who could talk to me about this supplement. P.S. I also take a capsue of Cinnamon with breakfast which has helped my morning test to be around 95 and rarely more than 130 or 140 two hours following a meal. I have also had a gall bladder removal, a bladder lift, a hysterectomy due to ovarian cysts back in 1986 which was causing excessive bleeding and irregular periods. I also have Thalassemia Minor anemia which I was treated for with massive iron shots and pills until the mid 1990's when I finally found a doctor who was able to correctly diagnose my condition and take me off the iron supplements.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 1 month ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

It should be safe for you to take the Garcinia Cambogia along with the apple cider vinegar while you're on the metformin

I would caution you, though, to check your blood sugars frequently since there is a small chance that they may drop too low with the supplement

Please let me know if you need any more information