Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 18 and autistic he takes 12.5 lexapro and in the…

Customer Question
My son is 18...

My son is 18 and autistic he takes 12.5 lexapro and in the last 6weeks was given resperidone which was too much as they reduced the lexapro and e became aggitated and depressed so we put himback onthe 12.5 lexapro and reduced the resperidone to0.25 he seemed to be doing well with this until yesterday we are going through a hurricane here in florida and had to board up the windows in the house and since then he has been like depressed and lathargic could this be due to the boarding up of the house or the resperidone

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

It is my son we noticed it yesterday after we boarded up our house

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don'tthink so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
9/9/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

He is probably just worried

Does he understand the hurricane?

no I don't think so I have told him about the rain and the wind that we are getting right now, but it's not over yet and the boards won't come down until monday
he keeps just laying in bed getting up occationally but just stares at us just like he did when he was on the higher dose of resperidone, and he will open his blinds fully just to see the plywood
he is not himself....I just could n't believe that boarding up the house would do this to him...
last time we had to board up he was younger and was not on the resperidone...and he was not bothered by it like he is now

I think it is probably a combination of the two.

I would stick with the meds how they are now and see how it goes

Be safe!

I hope the hurricane calms down

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have more questions, just reply

he has been on the lower dose for about two weeks is that enough time to make him like this, I don't really like this medication and I would wein him off if I think it's because of it
i'm just worried that if I contimue to give him this med it will be harder to wein him off
because it has only been about two weeks I thought it would be easier to wein him off
by reducing the pill by 1/2 and then 1/2 again for a few days