Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am a 30 year old female and for the past 4-5 days, I have

Customer Question

I am a 30 year old female and for the past 4-5 days, I have been experiencing pain in my belly button. The pain is not an internal pain and it would only hurt if I bent over or leaned against my belly button. There wasn't any physical sign of an infection such as pus, swelling, scabs, discharge or anything like that. This morning, I woke up and noticed that my belly button was filled with blood and although I am cleaning it out and drying it thoroughly every hour or so, it has been bleeding on and off all day. The blood is pale and watery. I am not in pain and there is no physical sign of trauma. The only other thing I am experiencing today is diarrhea. What could this be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

This is very likely to be a umbilical granuloma, which is a benign tissue that can form in the belly button in response to a previous infection or trauma and can also form spontaneously without a prior history of infection or trauma. You might be able to see it if you spread the umbilicus with your fingers. But sometimes it is difficult to visualize yourself

because of the depth it is in.

The granuloma bleeds rather easily and after a few days quiets down but can abruptly behave the same way after a few months.

The best course of action will be to see your PCP and have this seen. The pCP will cauterize this with a silver nitrate stick in the office and that is all it needs. That will take care of it.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.