Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Medical Physician
98629655

Should morbidly obese children (10 yrs +) engage in school

Customer Question

should morbidly obese children (10 yrs +) engage in school running sports like cross country?
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor John MD replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I am a board-certified sports medicine physician with over 20 years experience.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

Does the child have any other medical problems?

If the child has not been in a regular exercise program before, its important for them to have a gradual increase in activity levels before competing in a sport like cross-country.

Obviously, there is a lack of physical conditioning, which can take about 4 weeks of moderate exercise to improve. There is also usually a need for muscles to adapt to running and the "too much-too soon" approach can lead to injuries just as shin splints or iliotibial band syndrome.
Finally, child that are obese tend to be very self-conscious about their condition. The goal of any exercise program for this age group should be to make sure that they are encouraged by the progress that they are making.

I usually recommend to parents to get their children doing 30 minutes brisk walking or a walk-run (1 min run followed by 1 min recovery walk and then repeat) for about 4 to 6 weeks first. This conditioning will help once they start with the cross-country practice.

Did my response fully answer your question?

If so, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.