Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My ent doctor prescribed me xyzal for the fluid accumulated…

My ent doctor prescribed me...
My ent doctor prescribed me xyzal for the fluid accumulated behind my eardrum since i had ear infection. I really do not like antihistamine medicines and especially the ones which increase heart rate or make me drowsy. My question, how bad is xyzal in terms of drowsiness and racing heart effect? And how helpful it is in drying up the fluids
9/9/2017
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well itis one of the newer non-sedating antihistamines but it does cause heart racing and palpitations.

Let me know if you have any more queries

What if i do not take it, will the fluids still drain?

This isnt meant for draining fluid. It decreases body's allergic response to a foreign trigger. Its given for symptomatic relief in such cases. It has got limited role in treating infection. You can skip it by all means

My infection is already resolved. The doctor says there is fluid accumulation behind the eardrum. How is that resolved? On its own?

You require NSAIDs like naproxen or ibuprofen for that ,not an antihistamine

Hope it was helpful.

lease reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor