Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a cellulitis flareup. My lower leg and ankle is

Customer Question
I have a cellulitis...

I have a cellulitis flareup. My lower leg and ankle is swollen and bright red What can I do to relieve the pain untill I can see the Dr, Monday morning?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?

My lower leg and ankle is swollen and bright red and itchy. I have been putting cream on the affected area to keep my skin from drying and cracking. Had this 3 years ago and my skin broke down and I got a bad infection. I don't know what I can do to relieve the pain.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No only that the area where the skin broke down became badly infected.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/9/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually ideally you should see your doctor as soon as possible since you do have history of a bad infection developing in the past as well. If the cellulitis is extensive and severe then you should be started on antibiotics AS SOON AS POSSIBLE rather than wait until monday. Also an ultrasound should also be done so that we can determine if this is only cellulitis or is there an underlying abscess.

But regarding your question, you should do the following to help with the pain,

• Elevate the leg above the level of the heart ideally, if you cant do that then keep it elevated by putting two pillows underneath it
  • Keep off the leg as much as possible so that the venous circulation improves.
  • Apply a compression bandage on the area (NOT TIGHTLY, mild compression)
  • Use OTC anti inflammatory agents like ibuprofen at a dose of 600-800 mg thrice daily which will bring down the swelling and also help with the pain
  • If the pain is not controlled with ibuprofen then also add OTC tylenol at a dose of 1 g thrice daily.

But i would strongly suggest having this evaluated as soon as possible if the swelling and redness is severe. If you have a picture i would be happy to review it for you.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating