Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What would cause blood in the urine since he has a catheter?

Customer Question
What would cause blood...

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

He has a number of health issues but this is new.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He was in hospital with a hip replacemnt in August and as a result had to use a catheter and then could not urinate when it was removed so he has had it sence then but this is the first time we have seen blood in his urine.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
9/9/2017
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,
Thank you for the question.

This is commonly seen due to catheterization. The catheter can irritate the delicate lining of the urethra. This mild bleeding is not a cause for alarm or concern. Only if the bleeding is heavy or if persistent you should contact his doctor. The mild bleeding and catheter caused injury will resolve by itself.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.
Thank you.

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Do you have any further questions?
Thank you.

Dear customer,

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Thank you.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor