Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Every once in awhile I get 2 or 3 petechiae mostly on my…

Customer Question
Every once in awhile I...
Every once in awhile I get 2 or 3 petechiae mostly on my thighs. Today I noticed one on the back side of my upper arm. Not sure why I get these. I have had no injuries and am not taking any meds that would cause this. I am concerned as I have a long history of epstein barr and elevated gamma globlulins and c4a. I was concerned I may be having something going on in blood vessels. Sending a pic.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/9/2017
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Well, from the description and after looking at picture, it sounds to be- Petechiae.

These are the pinpoint, round spots which appear on the skin.
They may appear as red, brown or purple. Usually they are of red color.

They are formed when when capillaries bleed, leaking blood into the skin.

It can occur with-

-Prolonged strain

-Vitamin deficiency

-Malnutrition, such as deficiencies of vitamins B12, C, or K, or folic acid.

-A bleeding or clotting disorder,
-Certain medical conditions like CMV infection, Scarlet fever, Vasculitis, Low platelet count, Vitamin K deficiency.

-Injuries and sunburn.

You would need a clinical examination and blood tests for precise diagnosis.

Coagulation studies (PT/PTT/INR) would also be advised.

Most of the times, it would not relate with any serious issue.

I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Along time ago I had a slightly posituve lupus anticoagulant. But then it was normal. Would a positive test cause this?

Well, Petechiae may also appear from Lupus anticoagulant syndrome.

You may get a repeat test done for lupus anticoagulant.

Also, get Coagulation studies (PT/PTT/INR) done.

Please see your primary doctor and get it clinically evaluated.

Don’t forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

My mom and grandmother died of hemmorgenic brain bleed. Is petechiaie caused by blood being too thin? I also bruise easy

I am sorry to hear about loss of your family members due to brain bleed.

Coagulation studies would diagnose your condition.

As such, Petechiae itself is not a serious condition.

You should see your primary doctor and get it evaluated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Can Petechiae happen if your blood is too thin?

Yes, if blood is very thin, than Petechiae can come.

we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

If I had an issue with blood being too thin, would I notice more petechiae, like an usual amount. Right now I just get a few every so often, but not a lot. Wouldn't they appear all over if it were a serious cause for them?

Yes, with thin blood, one would notice more petechiae.

This is not a serious issue. please be relaxed.

God bless you and take care.

we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

One more thing. I also tend to bruise easy. Any relationwith petechiae?

Dear,

Well, having frequent and easy bruising can be due to any of these-

-Vitamin deficiency
-Thrombocytopenia
-Venous insufficiency
-Skin fragility

-A bleeding or clotting disorder,

-Inflammation of a blood vessel (vasculitis),

Your doctor can advise few blood tests for evaluation and you will be advised treatment accordingly. You may need
-CBC (Complete blood count)
-Coagulation studies (PT/PTT/INR)

You should get these tests done.

God bless you and take care.

we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

sorry I haven't responded. How do they test for vasculitis?
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor