Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Medical Physician
98629655

Loud cracking and humming in ear followed by draining, Night

Customer Question

loud cracking and humming in ear followed by draining
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: Night before last I had a swollen sore throat but it was much better in the morning and hasn't bothered me since.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Allergies
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor John MD replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I would like to ask a few more questions:

Besides the sore throat and ear issues, have you had a fever, runny/clogged nose or a cough?

If there are no other major symptoms, its most likely eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube is a drainage tube from the middle ear into the back of the throat. It is designed to help equalize pressure around the ear drum (tympanic membrane).
Often times when a person has developed a mild viral infection (sore throat, nasal congestion, etc) there is a little swelling of the eustachian tube that can cause the symptoms you listed above.

The FamilyDoctor.org has an excellent patient reference on eustachian tube dysfunction here (or copy and paste https://familydoctor.org/condition/eustachian-tube-dysfunction/

Did my response answer your question?

If so, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.