Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

How does it take for a cat bite to affect humans and what

Customer Question

How long does it take for a cat bite to affect humans and what are the symptoms
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: Sensitive skin and unable to be in the sun long. Veins popping up. The initial symptoms were a year after the cat bite healing after anti-biotics administered were gastric distress. Doctors were not able to figure out a cause at that time. Then, a few months ago, pain erupted making it hard to do many physical things like mowing the lawn. The doctors were uncertain what was casing all of this and after being told of the cat bite, said perhaps that had been the cause. Does this seem possible for such a delayed reaction?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: The skin is sensitive to the sun. Nothing on the nails.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: None other than under a lot of financial stress and also at work.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

The initial symptoms like wound and infecion are apparent at the time of bite but there is a longterm effect which is caused by bacteria in the cat mouth reaching human blood stream and settling in joints and heart covering leading to chronic infection. The symptoms are usually joint pain and chest pain and other cardiac problems if it gets worse. Although your symptoms do not correlate much with cat bite but it is still ok to get an echo and rule out heart infection.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.