Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Ppd test: I took a test two days ago and got redness in my…

Customer Question
ppd test: I took a...
ppd test: I took a test two days ago and got redness in my arm. I need to know what it means
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Doctor: Mark D. McDonough, MD, PT, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
Mark D. McDonough, MD, PT
Mark D. McDonough, MD, PT, Board Certified Physician

Hello! Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for using the service. My name is***** and I’m happy to answer your questions and address any concerns.

I’ll try to provide clear and thorough information and refer you to any other sources you may need. Please allow me a moment to review the information and prepare an initial response to your question.

The ppd test is a screening test for exposure to tuberculosis. Did the clinic that performed the test instruct you to return after a few days to allow them to assess the reponse?

but unfortunately the doctor was out of office when i went. somebody else took a photo and sent it to the doctor, but i have to wait until monday to hear from him.

They should be able to determine if the response is simply an inflammation from the needle stick itself or if the reaction is more concerning. It's highly possible that there's nothing to worry about. However, they will examine the tissue response, the size of the redness or demarkation, etc. Then they can determine if there are any other preventative measures to be taken. I wouldn't worry about it as they should be able to evaluate it from the picture.

Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love.

Actually, ithe size of the redness is not important in interpreting the PPD. It does not mean anything other than your body is developing redness as a reaction to the injection.

Interpretation of the PPD is determined by the size of induration. Induration is a hardness or firmness of tissue around the site of injection. Induration is typically much smaller than the area of redness. Induration is also not easy ti judge by the appearance on the photo. It is better determined by feeling the area of induration.

If the staff at this office did not know that they should be measuring the size of the induration that can be felt, then you need to go somewhere that can feel the site and measure the induration. The induration should be measured between 48 and 72 hours, so you have some time, but since tomorrow is Saturday, your options may be limited.

If the staff knew to measure the induration but was uncertain whether to be concerned about the redness, then I can tell you that you do not need to be concerned about the redness.

I got the BCG vaccine as a baby. could this be a factor?

Yes. Prior BCG vaccination can cause redness and a false positive PPD from the size of induration. However, TB blood tests are not affected by prior BCG vaccination, so can be used if the size of induration indicates a positive result. If there is no significant induration, the redness also could be related to the BCG vaccine, but it still is not a concern.

i think i do have induration. probably 15mm or more. But I'm trying to hope that it maybe related to the BCG vaccine.

The blood tests may be necessary.

Hi Dr. If a woman donates blood, would they tell her if she was hiv possitve?

In the US, yes.