Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are side affects of desvenlafaxine and is any. Issue…

Customer Question
What are side affects...

What are side affects of desvenlafaxine and is any. Issue with codeine tablets 30mgs

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Dr prescribed both tabs. Desvenlafaxine label is

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

HAVE SUFFERED A TYPE OF REFLUX for a while but Dr thought it part of PANIC Attacks. 12mths ago had problem with pilahnydillacytis. Reason for pain medications ps also endowed

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

On and off to three years at least but has gotten much worse in last two years since occurrence of the problems with my lower spine. Ended up having it opened up three times and having quite a bit of tissue removed. My occupation is builder that works large insurance Co. and have to do a lot of travelling in trucks which aggravates spine

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/8/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 11 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have asked about the possible side effects with medication desvenlafaxine and also whether there are any issues of using it along with codeine. As a neurologist I am very familiar with prescribing these medications and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I am almost done with my typing I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Desvenlafaxine, is medication belonging to a group of medications called as SNRI (Selective Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake inhibitors), and it is used to treat various conditions like panic disorder, anxiety, depression, and sometimes for pain management too.

Overall it is a reasonably well tolerated medications however as with any other allopathic medication it also can cause some side effects, and the following are some of the commonest side effects associated with desvenlafaxine;

Increased or excessive sweating

Dizziness

Drowsiness

Dry mouth

Constipation

Sleep problems (insomnia)

Loss of appetite

Tightness in your jaw

Nausea

Weight loss

Blurred vision

Nervousness

Decreased sex drive

Impotence

Difficulty having an orgasm etc

Please see most often this medication is very well tolerated, and even if side effects may occur but they do get better as you continue using this med and as your body gets used to this medication more and more, so if any side effects occur not to get scared, most of the times such side effects will get better. Also most of the side effects are experienced when it is taken in larger doses, relatively smaller doses or with the recommended doses of 50 to 100 mg per day this medication is not expected to cause any major or serious or bothersome side effects.

To your other question of any interactions with codeine, there are no major or serious drug interactions known to occur when it is taken with codeine at the standard recommended doses. The standard recommended dose for desvenlafaxine is about 50 mg, rarely one may go up to about 100 mg per day, as long as the dose is kept up to about 100 mg per day this medication is not expected to cause any major or serious drug interactions with codeine - so both desvenlafaxime and codeine can be used together safely.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know and I am available here.

And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. And the rating will not incur any separate charges to you.

If you have any additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!