Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband had a FIT test. Colonoscopy showed a benign

Customer Question
My husband had a...

My husband had a FIT test. Colonoscopy showed a benign polyp, hemmorhoids, and diverticulum. Nothing looked to be bleeding so GI doc felt an upper endoscopy should be done. He found an ulcer. H pylori is negative, all other tests done from the upper endoscopy were negative. He is on protonix and off preventative 81 mg aspirin. A repeat upper endoscopy will be done in the future. All lab tests were normal including hemoglobin. Doctor said no reason to look further for where bleeding is coming from. He said FIT test can see blood from upper and lower digestive tract. He sounds confident that bleeding is coming from ulcer. Everything I have read said FIT test only shows positive bleeding from lower tract. Isn't endoscopy only looking at upper GI tract? Can I trust our GI doc that he knows what he is talking about and no more tests need to be done? I am very confused.Thank you, ***** *****

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

His testing is finished. They were looking at biopsies from colonoscopy and upper endoscopy.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing. thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
This is what I found in the research: "Fecal immunochemical tests (FIT) for hemoglobin are more specific than guaiac tests because they detect only human globin and do not detect upper gastrointestinal bleeding (since the globin is digested in transit)."
It is possible the bleeding was coming from the benign polyp that was removed. If I were you, I would repeat the FIT test. It's about the only thing you can do. FIT tests can produce tests with false positives due to delay in mailing, exposure to high ambient temperatures during mailing, or delayed processing after sampling, because of hemoglobin degradation.