Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was just told tat a second series of blood tests show

Customer Question
signs indicative of Lupus. What...
I was just told tat a second series of blood tests show signs indicative of Lupus. What is Lupus, what are the symptoms and treatments? My maternal Aunt died of the disease and I would like to know what the life expectancy for a lupus patient are.
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: They did a blood test roughly a month ago that was inconclusive. They did a second, more involved blood test about a week ago and called to tell me the results.am not sure of all the work they ordered on the blood speciman
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a very extensive medical history including type 2 diabetes, H-Pylori Bacterial ulcer, repeat hospitalizations for cellulitis in the legs
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
9/8/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hi there. Lupus is an autoimmune disease that triggers inflammation in different tissues of the body. Autoimmune diseases happen when the body’s immune system attacks its own tissues, usually for reasons that are completely unknown. The most common type of lupus is systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), which affects different parts of the body including the skin and internal organs. As it is considered a rheumatologic condition, you should see a rheumatologist as soon as possible to get on an appropriate treatment plan. There are various degrees of severity of this condition, from very mild to very severe, but it is quite manageable in most cases, with the proper medical oversight of course.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor