Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Is it advisable the 1st or 2nd day home from hip replacement

Customer Question

Is it advisable the 1st or 2nd day home from hip replacement to go up/down 14 stairs to/from bedroom to kitchen for meals?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, surgery is scheduled. Just cholesterol and blood pressure med...low dose.
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Have you been feeling dizzy or lightheaded?
Customer: 1 month ago. No dizziness.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. have been seen by my orthopedic doc.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Mobilization after surgery is done the same or the next day but climbing stairs is to be done very carefully, not 3 to 4 times a day. You should climb the stairs with the good leg first and while coming down use the operated hip to step first. But this should be done once a day only or as little as possible. This is to avoid dislocating the newly implanted hip while the implant is osteointegrated and also to avoid pain or busting open the sutures. Also, this is done to avoid any falls.

Hope this helps.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Dr. Uzair.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Pleasure to assist.

Please do remember to rate the answer, thanks.