Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question for Dr. Subbanna. I recently started a…

I have a question for...
I have a question for Dr. Subbanna. Hi doctor, I recently started a relationship and takin things slow. My girlfriend gave me handjob but she used some amount of her saliva as lube. She spit on my penis head. Immediately I stopped her and washed my penis. There was no contact of my penis except for her hands. She did not kiss or touch my penis with here mouth/lips.Can I get herpes this way hsv1 on my genitals? I am not sure about her herpes status.
9/7/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hi, this is Dr John, I don't know if Dr Subbanna is online. If you want, I can answer your question. I'm a board-certified primary care physician with over 20 years of experience.

Sure please

There are two types of HSV (herpes) viruses. HSV 1 (herpes simplex virus 1) is most commonly oral and seen as a cold sore and more common in adults . HSV 2 is usually the genital form of herpes.
Approximately 90% of US adults already have antibodies to HSV 1.

Usually transmission is through viral shedding from a cold sore lesion. So if she did not have any open cold sores on her mouth, its very unlikely you were exposed from saliva contact on her hand to your penis. There would be an increased risk of transmission from oral sex if she had a cold sore lesion at the time.

Also, if you already have had HSV 1 (cold sores), its unusual to get second HSV 1 infection in the genitals due to already having some antibodies or immunity against HSV 1 from the original infection.

Does this address your concerns?

If you still have questions, please let me know. Otherwise, if I have answered your question to your satisfaction, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Also, please remember to leave a rating by clicking the stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

- Dr John.

She did not have any sores on her mouth or lips. And I did not have oral sex. She just spat her saliva on my penis and masturbated.Was wondering if herpes can be transmitted through saliva or only through skin to skin contact?
I do not have hsv1 or 2

Ok. With her not having any cold sores, very unlikely that she was shedding any HSV 1 virus and while some HSV 1 virus can be carried in saliva, also unlikely to have any virus if no cold sore.

Also, even if there was some HSV 1 virus in the saliva, there would still need to be:​

1. A break in your skin to allow some of the HSV 1 virus in AND
  2. Your immune system would have to not respond to the HSV 1 virus

Most adults in the U.S have also already been exposed to HSV 1 at some point of their childhood or adult life, so again, close to 90% of adults have antibodies for HSV 1. The presence of antibiotics doesn't mean you have a current infection, it only means that at some point in the past, you were exposed to the virus and your body developed antibodies to prevent future infections.

Does that help?

Anyone there?
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, Thanks for the question, and I am very glad to help you again with your health concerns. I am sorry I could not reply earlier since I was away from the computer and just returned.

Are you still looking for answer from me, or are you happy with the above answer by the other expert? Please let me know.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

i would like to know your opinion. I spoke to couple of STD experts (Dr. hunter Handsfield and Dr. Edward hunt), they said it is no risk (0 risk) and assured me that herpes cannot be transferred only through saliva or bodily fluids and it needs skin-skin contact. What do you think? From my previous experience I am being very carefull with my sexual health.

Okay Sure, I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with the typing.

Best Regards!

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Please see there is no possibility of you contracting herpes during this incidence you have mentioned above.

This type of exposure is considered as safe with regard to contracting STDs including herpes etc

It is unlikely saliva will transmit herpes like this.

Even if there was herpes virus in her saliva but you had washed the genital immediately, so this will also help in preventing transmission of this virus to you

The virus cannot just enter the body of another individual in a jiffy like that, it needs at least some time for being able to attach to and then to enter the body (or through the genital), but in your case you had washed the genital immediately so it is unlikely the virus had any time to attach itself & enter your body

But anyway I doubt she is having any virus in her oral cavity or saliva so it is unlikely the herpes virus had come in to the contact of your genital so from the beginning there was no risk of any kind in this instance

Also you have mentioned there was no contact of your genital except for her hands.

And you have also mentioned “moreover she did not kiss or touch your genital through her mouth or lips etc”

All these indicate clearly you have certainly not contracted herpes from her, even if she had this virus in her, although it appears she does not have it, but even if she has it, it is still unlikely you have contracted this virus from her

Once again I can categorically reassure you, it really does not appear you have contracted herpes virus infection during the incidence you have mentioned above, and there is not even an iota of doubt in this regard, your risk of contracting herpes infection (or any other STDs) is Zero (0%) during the above mentioned incident, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

hi doctor when i meant immeidately, it took i think 30 secs to wash my penis. Still safe?

Hi, Yes, it is pretty fast, about 30 seconds is indeed very fast, so you are indeed safe, and 100% safe

Thanks doctor. After my previous experience I am really worried to have sex with anyone. Don't kno how i will overcome this.

You are very welcome! You are 100% safe. As long as you have safe sexual encounters like this there is nothing to worry, you are not having any risk at all in these type of sexual encounters.

I am adding these points to my previous discussions;

If she is having active or fresh oral herpes sores or lesions which are open and having active discharge and if she kisses your genital or gives you oral sex and if these active lesions come in to contact with your genital then there is a small possibility of you contracting this infection, but in your case there is no direct contact with any active lesions (which she is not even having when this incidence had happened), so all that happened is your genital came in contact with some saliva but saliva is not known to transmit herpes, it is the direct contact of your genital with the active herpes lesions that actually transmits this virus, which certainly is not what had happened in your case, so you are 100% safe in this instance. And you had washed the genital too immediately, about 30 seconds is indeed very fast, the virus needs lot more time of stay on the genital to be able to infect you, as mentioned above the virus needs some amount of time (say couple of minutes or so) before it could attach itself to the site of entry and being actually able to invade the skin or mucous membrane of your genital, but you had washed the genital immediately (about 30 seconds is considered as “immediately”) - so this also implies it is unlikely you have contracted this virus during this incidence, we can analyse this exposure from any angle but it is very certain there is absolutely no risk for you, it is indeed zero percent risk in your case. You are 100% safe in this regard.

thanks for this detailed explanation doctor.

You are very welcome! My pleasure!

Once again, you are 100% safe, so please not to be scared.

Hi, please do not forget to kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health questions, and this is the only way I will be credited for my services to you.

If you have any additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
no need of testing right?

No, definitely no need for tests. If you just cannot get rid of the fear from your mind of the possibility of herpes then you may try to get the test done but based on the type of exposure you have had, which was certainly safe for the various reasons mentioned above, so there is certainly no need for any std testing including herpes tests too.

Thanks & Best Regards!

I shouldn't Be concerend about any STDs right?Also I see you are Indian and I am too. I was wondering was it mandatory to get hepatitis vaccines in India. I was born in 1991. And I couldn't ask anyone.

There is definitely no need to be concerned about any STDs including herpes in your case, as discussed earlier above. You certainly appear safe in this regard. Yes you are right, I am an Indian too. The hep b vaccine is now considered as mandatory in India during the child hold immunization program. The hep b vaccination was introduced in year 2007, and before that year it was not considered mandatory in India. Hep A vaccine too is now considered mandatory vaccine in India.

You may go through the below web link to find out which vaccines are mandatory or optional in India;

http://www.infolona.com/marriage_sex_pregnancy_children/vaccination_for_kids/find

can I get hepatitis with my exposure. Just trying to educate myself

No, in my first sentence above I had mentioned "there is definitely no need to be concerned about any STDs including herpes in your case" there is no suspicion for any std and this includes hepatitis too. The vaccine info I have provided above is a separate issue, but if you are concerned whether you have been exposed to hep b during the sexual encounter you have mentioned earlier, please see you are unlikely to have contracted hep b. With the type of exposure you have described above there is no possibility of contracting any STDs including hep b, or herpes, or hiv, or any other STDs. Yours was a safe exposure, so no risk at all of contracting any type of STDs.

Thanks doctor. My previous sexual encounter has taught me a lot and now I am getting paranoid about every minute thing. To be fair I am kind off worried to even start a relationship.

You are very welcome! Use prudence in the future - as you have been already doing so far with your previous exposures, which have been safe exposures, so everything should go perfectly fine. No need to over-worry, overreact and overcautious, that is not going to help, just take the usual & standard precautions and everything will go perfectly fine.

All the very best!

Hi doctor, I have slight irritation in urethra while peeing. There's no discharge of any kind. However the opening of my penis looks weird like red inflammated. Nothing looks like herpes. My concern is can it be NGU or is it just irritation due to madturbation?

Hi, this must be some non-specific irritation which any normal person too can experience once in a while, or this could be secondary to masturbation, but this is certainly not any STD or NGU etc.

It's very slight irritation only while peeing. And on scale of 1-10 it's probably 1 or 2. What should I do now?

You may try to drink plenty of water, and try to take some high dose cranberry preparation too. Over the counter Azo preparation too can help. If this persists then try to get an urine analysis done, but not really suspecting any std/ngu etc.

Hi doctor, last night I masturbated and today I feel little better. Should I masturbate today also. Is it possible for something to get stuck in urethra?

Hi, it is not due to anything stuck in the urethra, rather it appears psychological. And you can do masturbation as often as you wish, especially if it helps with the urethral symptoms then you can certainly do it as often as you wish.

My only concern is I am worried that I might injure my penis with frequency of masturbation.

No, if you do gently then it should be fine.

Hi doctor, my discomfort had reduced but not completely gone. Should I wait for some more time, if so how long before I go to doctor. I think it's mostly because of madturbation.

Hi, the discomfort certainly does not appear secondary to anything serious including std etc, you may wait for another 3 to 4 days, if no improvement then try to see your dr.

OK thanks
Just FYI the discomfort is only when I am urinating

You are very welcome! This does not appear any std, but if this persists after 3 to 4 days then try to see your dr for further evaluation.

Hi doctor, forgot to mention that when my bladder is full I can feel irritation in my urethra and there is slight burining when urinating only at the start of urination. And I feel perfectly normal after urinating. Again when the bladder is filling up I feel the same

I strongly feel these are psychological issues rather than any std, as mentioned earlier if this persists then try to get this further evaluated/investigated by your dr in the clinic, but this does not appear any std or any real illness or anything serious in nature.

I am planning to take bactrim or norflox for 3 days. What do you say?

No harm in trying a short course of antibiotic like this, although without lab we do not know whether you are really having uti or not, this could be psychological issue too.

I don't think it's pysoogical issue. I can clearly feel he discomfort here. But I will wait for 2-3 days and then take bactrim

If you are certain it is not psychological then we should keep the possibility of uti in the mind. Yes you may wait for 2 to 3 days, if you do not see improvement then you may start the antibiotic.