Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My daughter has an unusually large stomach, almost bloated

Customer Question

My daughter has an unusually large stomach, almost bloated and distended. She has a slight sway back. She is now complaining of stomach issues - pain, nausea, acid reflux. Her stomach has been "bloated" for quite a few years. I am concerned because it is so not proportionate to her body
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: nausea on occasion, no vomitting
JA: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. Main concern is the distended stomach.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your daughter's age?

Were any investigations done for her symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is 11. She went to therapy for 6 months about a year ago, being told anxiety was the root of her problems. She was also given Miralax for constipation, but she promises me that she is not experiencing any constipation this time. I am mostly concerned about the size of her stomach in relation to her complaining about abdominal pain. She gets nausea from time to time, but never vomits. She will take Tums sometimes to alleviate her aching.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am just looking for a point in the right direction. I realize that diagnosis over this communication is not an option:)

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

She should get an ultrasound for the initial evaluation if not already done. That may screen the organs for the normalcy. This bloating in her age group is not normal.

The reasons for excessive bloating can be;

1) excessive air swallowing.

Anxious people swallow air when they are stressed or anxiety supervenes.

2) increased intraluminal (inside the intestine) production from mal absorbed (improperly absorbed) nutrients,

3) decreased gas absorption due to some pathological condition of intestines like diverticulitis

4) expansion of intestinal gas due to changes in atmospheric pressure

A solitary reason or combination can be responsible for the excessive gas.

Following may help her;

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage

b) Beer

c) Legumes

d) Cheese

e) Beans

2) This may help;

a) Bismuth subsalicylate

b) Activated charcoal

c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.

d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to breakdown certain complex carbohydrates.

All are available without prescription.

Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains, artificial sweeteners etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.

If ultrasound does not show any problem, a CT scan would be advised.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl