Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am severely allergic this year for the first time.Now I…

Customer Question
I am severely allergic...

I am severely allergic this year for the first time.Now I have according to the Dr allergy induced asthma.I can't sleep anymore and as I also suffer general anxiety and panickattacks the shortness of breath keeps me almost constantly panicked.Antihistamine don't work anymore.The inhalers against the asthma don't do anything.What can I do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

It started with allergies in the spring. I got them under control with antihistamine and careful watching of pollencount.Then two weeks ago it got over 100F the allergies started again this time with asthma attacks which end up being in constant combination with panicksttacks and hyperventilation.I got two inhalers prescribed the coryicosteroid akes me exceedingly nervous both make me so nauseous I have to throw up and antihistamine don't do anything anymore

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I overdosed in December on Oxycodone and xanax which helped me through a breast cancer treatment and then I couldn't get of them anymore but now I have no calming medication anymore to get out of panickattacks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Since the inhaled steroids and antihistamines dont seem to be working then you can consider using some of the other medications which may work better in this situation. Ill list the common medications which can be tried here,

• Oral corticosteroids
  • Leukotriene modifiers or anti leukotrien agents like montelukast sodium which can very effective in allergic asthma
  • Cromolyn sodium
  • Anti cholinergic agents like tiotropium or ipratropium.

Now of all of these the best one for immediate control of teh symptoms would be oral steroids which can be used for a period of 7-14 days and then tapered off. This will allow enough time for the other medications to start working while controlling your symptoms in the short term effectively.

Now once the acute symptoms are controlled then we can consider going for immunotherapy which involves various treatment options.

• Allergy Shots: If your asthma is triggered by an allergy, you should consider allergy shots, which are very effective in relieving allergy symptoms and in some cases can actually cure your allergy. The treatment, which can take several years, builds up immunity to your offending allergens (pollens, dust mite, pets, mold). It works by injecting small amounts of the allergen in gradually increasing amounts over time. As the shots help the body build up a tolerance to the effects of the allergen, they eventually reduce and can even eliminate your allergy symptoms.
  • Sublingual tablets: This type of immunotherapy was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 2014. Starting several months before allergy season begins, patients dissolve a tablet under the tongue daily. Treatment can continue for as long as three years. These medications should not be used in patients with severe or uncontrolled asthma.

If that does not work then there are agents like anti monoclonal antibodies like Omalizumab which is an agent reserved for severe and resistant asthma which can be tried here as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Problem during my cancertreatment i found i do not handle steroids well

Then the other options can be implemented in your case, it will take thema couple of weeks to start working but in the mean time you can be treated with home breathing treatments (nebulization) those nebulizations can be effective during an acute attack.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor