Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I woke up dizzy and sick to my stomach. What should I do?

Customer Question
I woke up dizzy...

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

This is the first time in the morning. Yes nausea..but I have been dizzy a couple weeks ago in the afternoon.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been borderline diabetic

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any chest pain? Any palpitations? Any other symptoms? Pain in the ear?

Nothing right now..but couple weeks ago had chest flutters

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Now from what you are describing there can be a couple of conditions which can cause this sort of problem. The first one is that you could have a heart arrhythmia which is an irregular heart rhythm which can lead to the dizziness, flutters as well as the nausea. This would occur many a time even without the fluttering sensation. This would need to be diagnosed with a simple EKG, echocardiogram and also with the help of a 24 hour holter monitor test. Once diagnosed it would be treated with simple medications.

Another cause of your symptoms would be associated with calcifications inside the inner ear which can lead to a condition known as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo this can cause the dizziness, nausea especially on changing the position of the head, It can disappear for a time and then reappear on its own. Usually the diagnosis is made with a simple maneuver in the doctors office and can be treated with a similar maneuver as well known as the epley's maneuver.

Another cause of this could be a drop in the blood glucose levels which can occur intermittently as well. Usually this diagnosed with a simple glucose level check when you are actually having the symptoms. Treatment is to increase intake of glucose containing products at that time.

Now lastly this can also be due to a vuiral infection of the stomach especially if you have vomiting at any time. This would be treated with simple increased intake of fluids, electrolyte rich fluids etc.

Now for the time being i would recommend using OTC dramamine or even benadryl which can be helpful but if it is a recurrent occurrence then get evaluated for the above conditions.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor