Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My cousin has ALS and a heart transplant. Her ALS is stage…

Customer Question
My cousin has ALS...

My cousin has ALS and a heart transplant. Her ALS is stage IV. She is on a new protocol called brainstorm which is helping her ALS. Her new physician is refusing to fill her medications stating that she is postponing the enivitable. Is this legal? My cousin also presently have a secondary infection and requires an antibiotic and this was refused as well. My cousin has been on palliative care not hospice and has always received medications. Please advise regarding the refusal of medications.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Please note, I indicated that my cousin has had a heart transplant and requires anti rejection medication as well as nitro pills and patches. All refused to her.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Again, please note, I am really talking about my cousin. I am her advocate. The doctor should know that she also has a glioblasto maltiform and now appears possibly to have liver cancer but I need to check this out with her doctor.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry your cousin has ALS and also aglioblastoma multiforme which is an aggressive type of brain cancer.

we are doctors here to answer medical questions, not legal questions. that is for lawyers to answer.

ALS and glioblastoma multiforme are both diseases which don't have cures at this point in medical science.

the cancer spread to her liver sounds very serious as well

is she is any pain?

have her doctors recommended comfort care only and hospice care for her?