Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My left side of my face has been burning for the past 4

Customer Question
My left side of...

My left side of my face has been burning for the past 4 hours. So I got a wet cloth to put on it but I can't feel the wet cloth and my face is drenched but still can't tell it's wet ?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

No other concerns the last four hours. But I don't feel right

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I have had helicobactor pylori but that wouldnt affect it as it was to deal with my stomach

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you had been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. The first thing which comes to mind after hearing about your symptoms is that you could be experiencing an acute attack of trigeminal neuralgia. This is a condition in which there is damage to the major nerve which supplies the face, this would be diagnosed on the basis of a clinical examination. Usually trigeminal neuralgia can be effectively controlled with the help of a simple medication namely carbamezapine. This would be also treated with medications like lyrica or even topiramate.

Now another cause of this could be associated with damage tro teh facial nerve which also supplies the face. This would however also cause drooping of the angle of the mouth, inability to close the eye completely and even difficulty in speaking. This can also be diagnosed on a clinical examination. This would be treated with the help of steroids and even anti viral medications.

Lastly if the burning and numbness is worsening and not improving at all then you should immediately proceed to teh ER and get this evaluated by getting a CT scan of the brain done. The reason being that these symptoms could also indicate a problem with the brain as well and if this is worsening then a trip to the ER should be undertaken.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor