Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I have been diagnosed with intercostal nerve damage. I was

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with intercostal nerve damage. I was on gabapentin for quite some time. The side effects were very uncomfortable so I stopped them. Any other medications you could recommend? I am in pain around the clock. I can't lift anything heavy, exercise or participate in many physical activities. It hurts when I breathe, it hurts when I lay on my side. I've had the MRIs done of chest and spine done and nothing else showed up. I live on heating pads, lidocaine cream, Motrin, etc, all of which only sill the pain by about 20 percent.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 month ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.A trial of long acting Pregabalin would be worthwhile ,it has less side effects and almost the same efficacy.Other drugs which may help include low dose Tryptomer/Amitryptiline in the evening,Use of NSAIDs can help, Tramadol can be used if the pain is severe.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe that was the first medication they tried on me and it didn't work. What about Lyrica, does that work for nerve pain?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, I cannot take Tramadol because I take 20mg of citalopram/day.

Pregabalin is Lyrica.That was what I was suggesting.