Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have some concerns regarding hair dye allregies i am

Customer Question
Hey i have some...

Hey i have some concerns regarding hair dye allregies i am allergic to hair dyes i used different colors even ppd and amonia free but i showed reaction i really want to dye my hair . its so stressful for me. i will be getting marry soon and i want solution for this

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Rashes itches and swollen skin

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

Oh yea. the one i used recently was ppd and amonia free and i show reaction after 24 hours . it was just a patch test i did at home but the color i used in salon was worse i show reaction on that after few hours

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Well my gray hair is genetic and i did dye my hair for years and at sudden i got allergy i stopped dying my hairs for 4 years but now i want to dye it for sure

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

what type of reaction have you had?

have you tried using a steroid prescription shampoo before and after the high dye use to decrease inflammation of your scalp?

the reaction was due to patch test
i havent try it on my hairs yet . i did patch test becasue i knew it that i am allergic .. i got rashes itches and swelling
i prefer to chat here

I see.

you can try a steroid cream on your skin after the patch test to see if a steroid cream can help decrease the allergic reaction.

your doctor can also prescribe you prednisone 50mg pills to help decrease allergic response.

is there any permanent remedy or i have to use these creams all the time ?

if your body is allergic to these dies, you may have to use these creams and steroid pills prior to and after hair dye to prevent allergic reactions.

is there any color that dont cause any reaction at all? and is it safe to use those pills if i am dying my hair once a month
?
u there ?
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well as the previous expert rightly mentioned you may try steroids or anti histamines before dyeing your hair however once the allergy develops withdrawing of the trigger ( dye ) is the only possible way to avoid it.

You need to use PPD free hair dyes. PPD free hair dyes that contain para-toluenediamine sulfate (PTDS) are now available. You can try one of those and see how it goes.

Vegitable based hair dyes or organic hair dyes are also relatively safe.

You need to explore these options and check for availability from local stores.

Hope your query is answered.

Plz let me know if you have any further queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards

I hope you are great.

Plz do take time out to reward credit for my consult. You need to click on 5 stars in the rating area to do that.

I wish you a healthy life.

Stay blessed.

Regards