Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

My ears are sensitive after being in high elevation 7,000 ft

Customer Question

My ears are sensitive after being in high elevation 7,000 ft for a week. Especially hurts after going swimming. Hearing loud music is not pleasant. What could this be? I'm back down at sea level and ears still feel sensitive.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 month ago.

The pressure you are feeling in the ears is due to changes in barometric pressure when you changed altitude. Problems can occur in the Eustachian tubes and the ear can feel blocked. To open it you can try few maneuver - swallowing or yawning, chewing a gum. If this does not help then try doing Valsalva maneuver. In this take a deep breath and fill your mouth with air. Now pinch your nose and close your mouth. Try pushing the air out with little force and not too much. This usually helps in opening the tubes and taking care of the negative pressure. If still no improvement, then you need to see an ENT specialist for an ear examination and further treatment like need of decongestant.

Regards

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 month ago.

Hope you were able to take care of the ear pressure by the maneuvers at home.

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be very appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance until a positive rating is given.Regards