Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein,
Experience:  MD at Kid Care Pediatrics
94200738

I have been using rubbing alcohol on my feet and legs for

Customer Question

Hi. I have been using rubbing alcohol on my feet and legs for about 2 weeks. I apply it ta pad and rub it on where I have flea bites. I didn't give it much thought until last night when I took my blood pressure and it was abnormally low. I googled rubbing alcohol and if it was dangerous. I have 2 symptoms, drop in blood pressure and a headache. Should I consult a doctor?
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Have you been feeling dizzy or lightheaded?
Customer: I saw my internist about 4 months ago. I saw my kidney specialist in June. I'm not dizzy or lightheaded, just have a pounding headache. Also, I didn't get much sleep in the last two days.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not for me. My parents died from heart failure and lung cancer, but I don't smoke and my blood pressure has always been normal. My kidneys started failing due to my overuse of Advil, which I haven't taken in 6 months and my then blood pressure medicine Lisinopril and HCTZ, which I no longer take. The only meds I take are Vitamin D3, iron and B12.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Eric Goldstein replied 1 month ago.
Hello. My name is***** and I just read through your question.
I do believe that the rubbing alcohol is responsible for your headache. The blood pressure component is questionable. But the headache is directly caused by it.
In any case, it is worth an exam by your doctor to rule out any other potential causes.