Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My penis started burning during and after sex and is still

Customer Question
burning after 3 days. What...
My penis started burning during and after sex and is still burning after 3 days. What could be wrong?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: About 4 days and it started during sex
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No! First time experiencing anything
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
9/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Is the burning only when you urinate or constantly?

Where is the burning, on the head or the entire shaft?

Mainly the tip. Frequent urination and constant burning

It's likely irritation from intercourse, either rough sex or simple irritation.

Do you have a rash on the penis?

Any pus from the penis?

No! No rash,no bumps and no pus

Great. So it's not an STD.

That's good. What can I do to ease the pain and prevent this from happening again

I don't know how to prevent it, unfortunately too much goes on during sex to keep track of what we do. But you could prevent the tip of the penis getting rubbed too hard.

You can take Azo over the counter for the burning until the area heals.

Also hurting on the shaft
Could it still be just an irritation

Correct.

There is no other condition that would cause pain in the shaft and irritation on the of the penis immediately after sex other than irritation of the penis.

Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

You have requested a new expert. What is your concern?

I had sex with my partner Saturday night and during intercourse I felt a burning sensation and since then I've had a burning in the tip,head and shaft and in the prostate area. No bumps, blisters, discharge or anything. Just constant burning and pain

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Without any other symptoms, this is likely to be friction injury due to sex itself and will resolve by itself in a few days. You should drink plenty of water and also take Tylenol for relieving the pain. This is not at all worrisome but can be seen due to sex and will not cause any complications.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

it's not an STD or sti ?
How long will the pain last?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

No, absolutely not. No STD can cause such early onset of symptoms during sex and immediately after sex. Also absence of other symptoms such as discharge, make the possibility of STD very unlikely.

The pain will last for maximum 1 week.

Take care.

Thank you!

Will it also cause pain in the prostate region close to the rectum area ?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

It is possible for a friction injury due to sex to cause symptoms even in the prostate region close to the rectum area due to irritation.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Do you have any further questions?
Did I answer your question? Please reply.
Thank you.

Doctor: dr prabir kumar das, Doctor replied 2 months ago
dr prabir kumar das
Hello
Are you diabetic?
You made this sex after a long abstinence?
No I'm not a diabetic
My girlfriend and I had sex Saturday night and during intercourse I felt a burning sensation and immediately after sex I started feeling pain in the tip of my penis and in the head and shaft. There are no bumps,blisters, or pus on , around or coming out of my penis. Just constant pain and burning
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love. The system says that you have requested a new expert.

When was the last time that you had sex before Saturday?

The last time I had sex was in June

The other experts are correct that it is impossible for any germ from this encounter to cause an infection this quickly. It takes time for germs to grow to the point that they cause symptoms, which is why it is usually at least 2 days after exposure (and frequently longer) before an infection starts causing symptoms.

When burning develops during or immediately after intercourse, it is an irritation from the sexual encounter. A friction injury is common. It is also possible to get some inflammation from a sensitivity to something to which you came in contact during the intercourse, such as cosmetics or residual from cleaning products.

It is possible that an infection could develop from a prior sexual encounter and it is only a coincidence that the symptoms started during this encounter, but the likelihood of this happening from an encounter in June is exceedingly unlikely.

At this point, you can promote healing by application of moist heat, which is easiest to do by soaking in hot bath water or a hot tub. An over the counter pain medicine can also be used, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to try an over the counter antihistamine, which can help to relieve symptoms related to any sensitivity.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know. Once we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

do I have an STD or is just penis irritation?

As I said above, the likelihood of this happening from an encounter in June is exceedingly unlikely.

Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

You have requested a new expert. What additional information are you looking for?

I had sex with my girlfriend Saturday night and during intercourse I felt a burning sensation in the tip of my penis. Almost immediately afterwards I started feeling pain and burning in the tip, head and shaft of my penis. No bumps, blisters or discharge of any kind just constant burning and pain

I would agree with the other experts that this is much more likely to be simple irritation of the penis rather than an infection of any sort. infections DO NOT occur immediately after sexual intercourse and it is essentially impossible that you got an STD immediately after having sexual intercourse. This is much more likely to be irritation of the urethra and the penis which is leading to this sensation. Using ibuprofen should control the symptoms and the symptoms should resolve over the course of the next 2 weeks. You should refrain from sexual activity during this time.

But this is NOT a STD, just simple irritation of the penis and the urethra, most likely due to friction injury. All of your symptoms are explained by this diagnosis.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating

Does it also itch

Yes itching can be a part of the problem as well.

The other possibility is a FUNGAL infection however i would consider that ONLY if you develop a rash or if the symptoms persist for beyond 7-10 days. But at the moment this is likely to be irritation of the penis caused by the intercourse.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

What to do if conditions do not improve

If it does not improve after a week, get a urine analysis and urine culture done. A STD screen would NOT be necessary even then, you should get the urine analysis results back which will give us more information and IF it shows an infection then anti fungal agents or antibiotics can be started.

Do you have any more questions?

this is definitely not an STD and an STD screening isn't necessary ?

No it is not and no it is not necessary at the moment. STDs dont appear suddenly after sexual intercourse and they usually take upto 4 days after sexual intercourse to develop. So this is UNLIKELY to be a STD.

Do you have any more questions?

Well it's been since September 2nd and the only thing that's going on is the burning and pain in the tip, head and shaft

Then i would advise that you use the ibuprofen first and give it 48 hours to start working, if you still have these symptoms by the 11th then get the two tests done.

Do you have any more questions?

I had sex with my girlfriend last weekend and during intercourse I felt a burning sensation in the tip of my penis. Almost immediately after I started feeling pain, burning and itching in the tip,head and shaft of my penis. No bumps, blisters or discharge and now I'm starting to have headache and sore throat
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

you don't have an STD. this is just irritation from sex

you can get tests for STD, but most likely your STD testing will be negative.

do you have alleriges? seasonal changes and weather changes can cause sinus inflammation and headaches.

sore throat and headaches are not symptoms from STD

do you have bad anxiety symptoms? anxiety can cause headaches and make you worried about small symptoms

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician