DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I am struggling with itchy, acne like breakouts on my left

Customer Question

I am struggling with itchy, acne like breakouts on my left cheek and around my mouth. They flare up worse when I am working. They rarely come to a head and almost appear as a raised inflamed pore. It started the beginning of the summer.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: I am an aesthetician and I have noticed when I am at my office it seems to get itchy and more inflamed. Antihistamines barely help, they more or less relieve the itch but don't help prevent the bumps from forming
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I don't have the greatest immune system and I do get sick very easily. I have been through testing for auto immune disease but have not figured much out with that.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, I have been struggling with a itchy breakout on my left cheek for the last 3 months. I have tried antihistamines and different acne products. My regular family doctor gave me topical antibiotics which didn't help. The breakouts don't really come to a head. It's more raised bumps all over that don't go away. The issue seems to worsen when I'm working.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

Yes, I understand.

Do you have a picture?

And what is your question [we don't treat or diagnose]

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Main question is what could possible be causing this? It seems no one has an answer. I do have a picture. The left is how my skin was yesterday morning and the right is what it looks like by the end of the day
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

It looks like acne, and the cause is multi factorial

So you have not seen a dermatologist?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not been able to get into one. It's just this cheek and gets itchy and large throughout the day and then calms down when I'm at home
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

OK

So what is your specific question about acne

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well I want to even know if this is acne because no acne product is working. It feels
More like an allergic reaction
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

Please list what you have had?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I currently am using topical antibiotic. I've used benzoyl peroxide, tretinoin, salicylic, and taking antihistamines.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

OK

Topical antibiotics are not indicated and make things worse in many cases.

You have not had much of what is available prescription wise.

An allergic reaction would be more generalized.

Not always, and if it completely goes away when you are out of one location, this is something to be considered, but I doubt it.

I would suggest that an irritant is aggravating the acne during the day.

You need to see a dermatologist at this point.

Prescription medicines should be individualized.

Other retinoids, vitamin D analogues, and other choices can be considered.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up