Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Need help interpreting these results. What treatment would…

Need help interpreting these results...
Need help interpreting these results. What treatment would be indicated, if any?
9/6/2017
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Why were these tests done? What symptoms are you having? How old are you?

extreme muscle weakness and fatigue. for my daughter, age 16

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Single titers of Coxsackie B Antibodies more than or equal to 1:32 are indicative of recent infection. So your daughter had a titer of 1:32 which is high and may indicate a Coxsackie virus infection. This infection may sometimes cause complications such as flaccid motor weakness that closely mimics poliovirus infection. So consulting a neurologist is indicated with this result and the presenting symptoms.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Thank you, ***** ***** be a result of an earlier localized staph aureus infection that became bacteremia and could this result in myositis? There is also skin involvement, rashes (malpr and generalized), pustules, etc
That infection occurred over a year earlier but muscle weakness and other symptoms have worsened

Dear customer,

You are welcome!

This is unlikely to be due to a localized staphylococcal infection and more likely to be due to chronic fatigue syndrome after the viral infection.

Take care.

Thank you!

Just to clarify, the staph infection was seeded, carried through the blood stream and resulted in septic shock.
Also, what is the indication of the pneumo Ab?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

A generalized staphylococcal infection will again cause a localized disease such as local soft-tissue infections pyomyositis, septic bursitis, and septic arthritis. It will not cause a generalized muscle weakness and fatigue.

The pneumococcal antibodies low level indicates that there is not sufficient immunity against pneumococcus, however, this is not the cause of the weakness and fatigue.

Take care.

Thank you!

After a quick search I see something called dermatomyositis can cause extreme muscle weakness, is this incorrect?
I do not wish to challenge you, your answers are extremely comforting and helpful, just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly to avoid worsening of symptoms.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, this is correct and a possible cause that needs to be considered for these symptoms. However, these lab results don't confirm or deny dermatomyositis which is a completely different disorder.

Take care.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
I see, thank you so much, I will contact a neurologist right away

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!!
Thank you!