Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is Hyperlipidemia? I saw the doctor last week. I had…

Customer Question
What is Hyperlipidemia? Doctor's...

What is Hyperlipidemia?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I saw the doctor last week. I had labs done (fasting). I mentioned that I am very tired all the time. My labs were all fine except for MCHC, which was low. I take prescription meds for thyroid, blood pressure and depression.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

I've been feeling this way for at least 4-5 months. I spoke to my doctor. I just got my results and noticed this was listed in his notes from the labs. I have another appointment in 6 weeks. I was curious what the term (Hyperlipidemia) meant. I wasn't sure if it was related to my low MCHC score.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

This just means high levels of lipids in the blood such as cholesterol or triglycerides. Most commonly this is used to mean a high cholesterol in the blood. The treatment is with diet and exercise. This is reversible with treatment but in some cases where diet and exercise are not successful in reducing the cholesterol back to normal, medication can be prescribed to lower the cholesterol levels.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Thank you.

This hyperlipidemia has no relation to the MCHC. However inadequate treatment of thyroid can lead to increase in cholesterol.

Take care.

Thank you.

No, my cholesterol is within range.

Dear customer,

What about triglycerides? Please upload the results.

Thank you.

Triglyceride is within range. (110). Don't know how to upload the results.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Please take a picture of the notes that your doctor made and upload here. I want to know in which context he said this.

I took a pic.
Please take a picture of the tests done if possible.Thank you!

Dear customer,

What is your cholesterol level?

174

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

It is likely that this is LDL cholesterol (a type of cholesterol) result and this value of 175 indicates that the LDL cholesterol is high and therefore the diagnosis of hyperlipidemia.

Take care.

Thank you.

No

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

What was confusing? If you upload the result I can be able to exactly tell whether this is LDL cholesterol or only cholesterol. I need to know which tests were done.

Your responses are very generic and exactly what I found when I googled it. I will follow up with my doctor. I don't think this was helpful at all!

Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.
I'll open your question to other Experts so that they can help you with this issue. Please wait for another expert to reply.

Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

The other expert has opted out and opened the question to other experts, but to be able to give you more information, it is necessary to know more details about your abs.

A total cholesterol of 174 is not high, nor is a triglycerides of 110.

Can you provide the full lipid profile, including HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol?

Will do. I'm out right now. I'll do it when I get home

That is fine. You can just wait until you have the information to respond to this message.