Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I awoke during the night with a somewhat sticky liquid

Customer Question
I awoke during the...

I awoke during the night with a somewhat sticky liquid coming from my left ear, and not able to hear out of it. It feels similar to having water in my ear from swimming. Don't know the color of the liquid,but it seems odorless.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing that seems pertinent.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Did you swim in last 2-3 days?

Did you have ear pain, ear block, difficulty hearing, running nose, sinusitis in last few days?

Are you diabetic?

This can be Otitis media which is defined by the presence of infected fluid in the middle ear cavity; it must be distinguished from otitis media with effusion, which is defined by the presence of uninfected fluid in the middle ear cavity. The key to distinguishing between both is the performance of pneumatic otoscopy using appropriate tools and an adequate light source by the ENT specialist. Usually the treatment is oral antibiotic with anti-histaminics (anti allergy medications).

External otitis refers to inflammation of the external auditory canal or auricle (pinna).

Excessive cleaning or aggressive scratching of the ear canal not only removes cerumen (which is our defense of the ear canal), but can also create abrasions in the thin ear canal skin, allowing organisms to gain access to deeper tissue. In addition, part of a cotton swab may become detached or a small piece of tissue paper may be left behind in the ear canal; these remnants can partially disintegrate and fester, causing a severe skin reaction and infection. Following is the treatment;

1) Thoroughly clean the ear canal (done by doctor); with direct vision through an otoscope using a cerumen wire loop or cotton swab to gently remove debris. The ear canal may be irrigated with a 1:1 dilution of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. THE HOME CLEANING IS NOT EFFECTIVE AND MUST NOT BE TRIED.

2) Treat inflammation and infection; ANTIBIOTIC DROPS: ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin can be prescribed by your physician.

3) Control pain; nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents, like Ibuprofen.

4) Culture in severe or recalcitrant cases; reserved for patients with severe external otitis or in recurrence.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl