Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Can a spinal cord abscess cause memory loss in a 90 year old

Customer Question

Can a spinal cord abscess cause memory loss in a 90 year old patient?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My father in law is in hospital and has be diagnosed with SCA, he was all good yesterday but today doesn't seem to recognize his only child!
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: They are not telling us much!
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Just blood pressure tablets and maybe thinners
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your father in law’s health situation. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns related to your father in law and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns related to your father in law;

1) Just double checking, till yesterday his memory was good and this just started today, am I right? Does he look confused, disoriented or hallucinating too, or just memory loss?

2) Is he having any headaches, stiffness of the neck, nausea or vomiting or sensitivity to light etc? Also are there any other symptoms like paralysis of the limbs, or facial droop, double vision, speech difficulty or difficulty with swallowing etc?

3) Did they start him on any antibiotics in the hospital? Any other new medications started in the hospital?

4) Have they started investigating him for the memory loss, or not yet started investigating?

5) Do we know where exactly he is having the spinal cord abscess (at what level) and did they discuss with you guys what are their plans in treating the abscess?

6) Does he have any already diagnosed medical health conditions like diabetes, thyroid, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or any other?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to reply to me. If you require more time it is perfectly fine and I will wait here. Kindly try to reply to the above posted questions when you can, and I can certainly help you with your health concerns regarding the rapid onset memory loss in your father in law you have mentioned above.

Hi, how is your father in law doing now? I hope he is doing better. Are you still looking for help with his health issues? Please follow up if you need any assistance with the diagnosis & management of his health conditions.

Best Regards!