Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm a 26 yrs old female, I had this encounter with this guy

Hi, I'm a 26 yrs...
Hi, I'm a 26 yrs old female, I had this encounter with this guy who I know from a while now and we had always been involve and we see each other some times when we both are alone and single just to chill and etc, everything was ok till the last time I had sex with him. 1 month ago the health department called me saying I need it to go and get tested for hiv cuz 1 partner I had sex with has tested positive. It wasn't difficult for me to find out who was that person cuz Im not a promiscuous woman or anything like that and I knew it was him so I called him and he say I'm sorry that he didn't know and that he let the health dep. contact me cuz he just didn't know how to tell me, My world stopped at that moment, then I started thinking cuz I been feeling unwell for the past 3 months, I had this rash on my torso along with loss of appetite and nauseas for about a week at 1st like 3 weeks after the exposure with this guy, I also noticed my period was coming really irregular, I used to have a 5 days period and since 2 months back I been having a 1 day period, I also been having a lot of tingling on my hands and feets, really cold hands and feets all time, I also been having this like flu symptoms for over a month now with sore throats. And all this symptoms I been noticed them before I founded out he was + but know I know where all this is coming from , there is not way I don't have this, we had vaginal & anal sex and he finished inside with the anal sex, and I had blood on my anus at the end which it means his semen got in contact with my blood what IT means I'm + too. so I went to get tested, I did 3 tests at exactly 3 months post-exp. , I did a PCR RNA which was undetectable or under 20copies/ ml, I did a RNA QUALITATIVE which came back negative, and I did and antibodies Multispot test who came back neg. as well, so I have some questions:
1- I have understood viral load is high at the beginning and then goes down, it is possible that viral load is down till less than 20 copies/ml at 3 months post-exposure? I had also understood that when it goes down is because antibodies fight the infection, so why then antibodies are not detected on my test?
2- RNA QUAL TEST is supposed to look for the virus itself and not for the antibodies and is accurate after 3 weeks post exposure and ahead, what is the possibility that at 3 months this test can't detect the virus, does the virus hide to this point that it can't be detected?
3-how accurate is the Multispot antibodies test? I never heard about this test before, but I heard is used as confirmatory test and that is even more accurate than Western blot test , its that true?
4-Why if new guidelines is 3 months conclusive and 6 month is old guidelines, why people in high risk are recommended to re-test at 6 months? I think we all are in high risk when it comes to having sex without protection. I know I have this but obviously it's not showing at my 3 months post-exposure, so what's the point on saying it is conclusive when is not?
***I don't believe on this tests at 3 months to be honest due to all symptoms I been having so please be honest and tell me, there is a change that I will become positive at 6 months right? Especially because of all symptoms I been having...Also when the health department called me I was dating my actual boyfriend who started having some ulcers on his penis after we had sex what it makes me think I gave hiv to him also and he is been having headaches and all kind of symptoms too, (I tooked him for test prior we started having sex and he tested neg and his last exposure was more than 6 months ago.
8/31/2017
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Fortunately, you have not been infected with HIV and it appears that this guy picked up the HIV infection after he had sex with you.

1. Viral load is always detectable even when low. Antibodies are also always detected after 3 months.

2. The possibility is very very low and at 3 months it should definitely be able to detect. This is a very sensitive test.

3. This is very accurate however it may not be more accurate than the western blot. But a result at 3 months is confirmatory especially in view of the other negative results as well.

4. Because of the improvement in tests the new guideline is 3 months.

With these results, you can be very confident that you are not infected with HIV.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Did I answer your question? Please reply.
Thank you.

I understand your point of view, still even at the health department they scheduled for me to test again at 6 months mark?They told me some people take longer to test positive, and unfortunelly I been talking to a friend of mine she lives in CA and she had tested positive 5 months post exposure which it makes my anxiety even worse, and due to all symptoms I been having Im almost 100 sure I got it, I mean if I listen to my body something is wrong and before I had sex with this guy everything was ok. and since then I been experiencing all those symptoms that I mentioned before. Even in the body forum they said if you have this kind of high risk is recommended a 6 month test. So pls be honest like If I were your daughter what would you recommend and what do I do with my symptoms. I know this is a business but please help me out.

Dear customer,

Thank you for understanding my point of view.

She may not have done the other tests along with the antibody test. The fact that your RNA PCR test is negative is very reassuring and makes me very confident that you are negative for HIV and are absolutely not infected.

If you were my daughter I would give you confidence and ask you to trust these results. This is my honest advice and if you do the 6-month test I am very sure that it will again give a negative result. Please trust me. I am not saying this just to make you happy or satisfied. You are considered to be negative based on the present medical evidence and test interpretation.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Ok doctor, Its just hard for me to believe that all this symptoms are just a coincidence but ok. Anyways I will wait and get re-tested just in case, but I feel better now with your response. Thank you

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to answer your question.

Take care.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor