Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was on cytoxan tapering from 150mg to 75mg for five months…

I was on cytoxan tapering...
I was on cytoxan tapering from 150mg to 75mg for five months to help treat pulmonary fibrosis. It was stopped. Now a month later the doctor wants me on it again this time 100mg for a week then 75mg for 6 weeks then 50mg continuing... What really will that low of a dose do for me? Are there any repercussions for taking this med for so long?
8/30/2017
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry that you have been diagnosed with IPF.

You want to be on the lowest effective dose of cytoxan that provides relief. Your doctor and you saw benefit from using cytoxan which works to relieve the inflammation in the lungs. The alternative is other forms of medication such as steroids or immune suppressing medications which in the long run can cause more harm or lung transplant. As long as you get benefit, continue on the lowest dose of cytoxan.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Isn't cytoxan an immunosuppressant drug? What will be long term issues if I agree to using this med for extended time?

Cytoxan is an antiinflammatory chemotherapeutic drug and has been found to be safe in long term use. Other than steroids, Cytoxan is the only other drug to be shown as effective in controlling pulmonary fibrosis. Common side effects include nausea, diarrhea, changes in skin color and nails, temporary hair loss, wounds that do not heal. Since you have been on this medication and don't mention having side effects, the chances of you getting them are very remote, especially at a lower dose.

Have I addressed your concerns?

How do you feel about restarting your Cytoxan?

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Good. I understand better now. Thank you.

You are welcome.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor