Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My dermatologist found this mole under my foot in a routine…

My dermatologist found this mole...
My dermatologist found this mole under my foot in a routine body check. I haven't been to the dermatologist in a few years. He removed it and sent it to be biopsied. Does it look like melanoma? It will be a week before I get the results and I am concerned.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/23/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Acral Lentiginous type of melanomas do present on the extremities - palms of hands and soles of feet. Your dermatologist was right to biopsy the lesion. This type of melanoma is however, more likely to be seen in South Asian people. However, a biopsy was warranted in your case. The problem with early melanomas is that they can not be clearly differentiated from ordinary moles, that is why support of the lab is required. I wish I could answer your query with a simple yes or no, I can say that, if you came to me with this mole, I would have suspected Melanoma and done a biopsy as well.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

What makes you think it is melanoma? He said he would be very surprised if it was cancerous and he was just being overly cautious. What does early mean?
He did take off the mole. But I showed the picture to my primary care physician and he said not to worry, Now I'm more worried.

The fact that it is there on the sole of the foot which is an odd place for a new onset mole makes it suspicious. One should always be overtly cautious with such lesions and I would have done the biopsy for the same reason your dermatologist did it. Being cautious and to err on the side of being wrong rather than missing a melanoma. It will be best not to jump to any conclusions before the report of the biopsy is acquired.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor