Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

A year ago I had surgery that made it almost impossible to

A year ago I had surgery that made it almost impossible to move around. I have always been in great shape and worked out daily. I have now gained 70 pounds and even though I'm healing from surgery I feel like total crap. I get tired very easily and have a hard time breathing. I am ready to start working out again but am afraid to because I get out of breath so easy. Can being sedentary for so long cause problems?

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

There are unlikely to be irreversible problems. As soon as you are active; the body and organs will gradually have physiological changes. Heart, lungs and all other organs will regain the capacity in some time. So I am sure your shortness of breath would go away.

People have gone back to international level of sports competition after a long lay off.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Two years ago I would run 5 miles for fun and now I'm out of breath and my heart is racing after walking for 5 minutes. I've never been fat before and will never again. Not for vanity but because I feel 20 years older than I am.

You are very welcome.

People who had been active feel slightly low when they are not fit.

I can assure you, you would become as good as before.

It is privilege assisting you