Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My husband tripped and fell on his right arm a week ago

My husband tripped and fell on his right arm a week ago Friday morning. It is now swollen and has turned purple and black. He went to urgent care. They said it wasn't broken. Told him to easy of the icing. They said it would take time to full heal and desolve. No recommendation on anything to do for it
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: Urgent care said it wasn't broken. The swelling started on the 11th of August. It is going down his arm. Arm, elbow, wrist, and fingers swollen and traveling down his arm.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Did he get x-rays?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, they didn't send his for x-rays.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should we seek another opinion?

OK

This is very serious here and he needs to be seen in the ER

He most likely has one or more fractures in that arm but I'm really concerned about all the swelling--he may have something called compartment syndrome where the injured muscles are swelling under their fascial coverings and that can cut off arterial circulation to the arm and result in gangrene

So at the least he needs to go back to urgent care but at this point I think the ER would be a much wiser option

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think a trip to the ER may be our next move.
Thanks for your advise.