Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had pain on the right side of my chest for about 8

months now. Mostly on my...
I have had pain on the right side of my chest for about 8 months now. Mostly on my breastbone near my cleavage. It feels as though there is a knot on the sternum
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: For 8 months or so. Not really shortness of breath but I do have a hard time getting a full breath in and when I'm falling asleep I feel as though I'm not breathing and I wake right up
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Ok. How long will it take?

Just a moment please, I am writing an answer for you. Please be patient.

What is your age?

Are you on any medication for a previously diagnosed medical condition?

I'm a 36 year old female. I had low vitamin b12 about a year ago. And I have stress and anxiety since my fiance passed away 2 years ago. Thought maybe it was stress related but the knot or bump on the bone worries me. No changes in my breasts. I do feel tired

I am sorry to hear about your Fiance.Alright, this could be stress related, but there are somethings that need to be ruled out first.

The first and foremost thing that needs to be done here is to rule out heart disease, this can be done by doing simply an EKG. Once, that is out of the way, the next step is to rule out acid reflux. Most patients who have acid reflux (which can be stress induced) present with chest pain and sometimes, even just a dry cough mostly in the mornings. When acid reflux is being ruled out, the doctor might want to do an endoscopy. This will visualize pretty much the entire upper GI system, ruling out any lumps or obstructions along with gastritis and other inflammatory conditions.

The next step is to get a chest x ray done, to rule out any space occupying lesions in the chest or a bone lesion that might be presenting as a lump.

All this can be done in a single sitting, however, you might need to see your Primary first and a referral can be made to a Gastroenterologist who can complete the work up.

Let me know if you have more queries about this.

Underneath my shoulder and into my underarm feel tender as well. The chest pain is usually dull, kind of like a muscle strain but it has not gone away in over 8 months and I have not had an injury. I am a server but I carry my tray on my left arm. The pain is on the right side.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Shoulder and under arm tenderness however, can be attributed to cervical spondylosis or muscle spasms in the neck muscles which can compress or impinge on the brachial plexus of nerves that supply the upper limb from the shoulder to the hand. These kind of conditions usually result from odd postures of the neck. A cervical spine x ray and an examination of the upper limb is all that is required here. Possible diagnosis are thoracic outlet syndrome and cervical spondylosis.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Ok. Should I go to the er? What about the feeling like I'm not breathing as I'm falling asleep? Honestly, I'm afraid to go to sleep. That's been going on for about a month

Well, I do not think the ER physician will be keen to keep you there for long in order to perform a complete work up or an examination since you have had the issue for 08 months or so. It will be best to schedule an appointment with your PCP.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Would those last possible diagnosis match the other symptoms as well like the chest pain and knot in the sternum?

No, they do not relate. It is likely that they are separate conditions.

If it's something serious like heart disease, will I be ok til I can see my doctor?
Would heart disease cause pain on the right side?

No, it typically does not cause pain on the right side. With a serious heart condition, you would have had more frank symptoms and intense chest pain rather than subtle pain that has been going on for 08 months. So, yes I think you should be okay till you can see your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Ok thank you. I'm still concerned about the feeling like I'm not breathing as I'm falling asleep. I don't think it's sleep apnea because I don't believe that I snore and it only happens as I'm falling asleep. Do you think it's related? I get nervous when I fall asleep and sometimes don't fall asleep til late. I'm worried about not waking up

I think that is more stress and anxiety related. So, try to keep yourself relaxed and this should improve.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

I thought that maybe too. Thank you so much. Just talking to you has relieved a lot of stress. I appreciate it and ill be sure to leave you a good rating.

My pleasure to have helped.

Take good care!

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor