Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

All my labs were normal today but Bilirubun was elevated at…

All my labs were...

All my labs were normal today but Bilirubun was elevated at 1.5 ---all others like AST etc were normal......have been taking 220 to 330 naproxenm for long time due to arthritis should i be very worried

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No symptoms

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Recently begin walking over 220 minutes per week to get in better shape...from being quite sedentary-bmi is 24

8/21/2017
The Physician

Welcome to Justanswer.com. I am an Emergency physician with over 25 years multi-disciplinary experience. I am going to be your expert in this question.

The liver is one of the most complicated organs of the human body. It performs several different functions which include hormone production, toxin elimination (including medicines we take) and the production of that help with the process of digestion.

Bilirubin is one of the substances produced in the liver which is released in the bile. Bilirubin is a yellow colored pigment that is responsible for the yellow color that we see in the urine.

Normal Bilirubin is from 0.3 to 1.0. High bilirubin in adults is the characteristic of a condition known as jaundice.

Bilirubin is a substance that is also generated in the liver when red blood cells are broken down. The liver does this job in order to remove old red blood cells which will then be replaced by new red blood cells that are produced in the bone marrow.

So a high bilirubin, without evidence of OTHER liver abnormality may be that the body is replacing red blood cells at a fast rate, and hence doctors would want to investigate why

SO IF YOUR LIVER ENZYMES WERE NORMAL, it means the liver I working, and so it means you are producing excess bilirubin possibly by hemolysis.

So the likely source of the high bilirubin will be the hematological

I would advise you to stop ALL medicines, and go to your physician to determine the cause

To do Blood tests to determine what type of bilirubin. Do your hemoglobin and microscopy as well as your urine tests.

Most times it may be nothing, and just transient, but it is important to check

Thank you for making it Justanswer.com.

Please remember to click the accept button and rate me before you close.

If there are any other clarification you would like, please let us know.

The Physician
The Physician
The Physician
The Physician, Doctor