Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

Im currently breastfeeding my 17 month old, I only really

hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Im currently breastfeeding my 17 month old, I only really feed her a bit at night and in the mornings. I took a tiny bit of cocaine last night, when can I feed her again?
JA: How have your child's checkups gone? Is your child progressing steadily in height and weight?
Customer: Did you see my question?
JA: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: yes she's developing fine

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Cocaine is a powerful and highly addictive stimulant that is easily absorbed into the blood stream. It has a high milk to plasma ratio, meaning it a significant amount of the drug may pass from a mother’s blood into breast milk .

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, cocaine should not be used by breastfeeding mothers. Mothers who choose to breastfeed and who use cocaine intermittently should delay breastfeeding for at least 24 hours after use.

So you will need to wait till then.

hope it answered your query.

Feel free to ask any more queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks.
I will wait until tomorrow. Do I need to pump the contaminated milk or if I leave it will my body remove the drug from my milk?

No actually it isnt the milk its the time body takes to metabolize cocaine. So atleast 24 hrs. Then you feed the baby ,no need to pump it out. Cocaine will be excreted through urine

Please do reward credit for the consult by leaving a positive rating if you are satisfied.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok that's great, thanks for letting me know. I'll wait until tomorrow to feed her but not pump as my body will remove the drug from the milk that's already been made.
Jen